It has been said that Expansion Joint installed costs reflect less than one half of one percent of the total project cost but account for over 80% of the callbacks and maintenance problems on new projects. At Watson Bowman Acme we believe Expansion Joints require regular maintenance to enhance performance and longevity. Some examples are:
- Building owners should budget and schedule for periodic maintenance of Expansion Joint systems.
- Building owners need to employ proper snow removal guidelines if located within certain climates.
- Understand the maintenance requirements for each specific system installed for longevity.
- Maintenance should include the removal of dirt and debris from the joint cavities and gutter system.
- Regular Inspections and Remedial Repair of damaged components is an important requirement for realizing long lasting performance.